Friday, October 24, 2008

Very brave

All moms have to go through the dreaded shots with their kids. It's a necessary evil, really. We got flu shots for ourselves and our 2 1/2 year old the other day. The parents went first, one at a time so the other could distract our son so he wouldn't know what we were up to. Then it was Benjamin's turn. I sat in a chair holding him (and keeping his arm still) while he held onto his dearest friend (a very well-loved stuffed turtle). I was armed with treats in my pocket. The nurse quickly stuck a needle in my precious boy's arm, making him jump, but no tears. She put a band aid on, and Benjamin's little face crumbled and he cried. I opened the package holding the treats and hugged my baby. Before we left the clinic he had stopped crying and I told him he was very brave. He proceeded to talk about his band aid and ate his snack all the way to the car. I blinked away tears behind my sunglasses. We both were very brave.

3 comments:

Daniele said...

Shots for us Weds...tears for mom. Sigh.

Daniele said...

And what's up with your pediatrician's office giving out such boring bandaids? Seriously...at least get some Elmos or some Lightning McQueens, people!

Krista Lucas said...

Haha! I know, at least Benjamin doesn't know the difference yet...He was so proud of that boring bandaid though...