Friday, October 17, 2008

Car Conversations

Does anyone feel like some of the most profound conversations always happen in the car? Usually on the way home from the grocery where we have just spent a grueling hour of looking for bargains and whining. You are in no mind set to answer some of the questions that are rolling around in your children's head. Dad, of course, is not around. So, it is left to you, the mom, and what few brain cells you can pull together to answer.

In the car is where I have explained heaven and hell, why there is sin in the world, how to ask God and others for forgiveness, what it feels like to die, how men should treat women (brothers their sisters), and lots of other "big" things.

We had another one of those moments today. Coming home from Wal-mart where the littlest one cried for most of the trip until he went to sleep from exhaustion, brother and sister pushed, pinched and whined until I was doing the same thing, my mind was shot and I see the contemplative look start on my son's 4 year old face. Here it comes...

On the way home from a friend's house last night we were seconds behind a young girl who crashed her car (pretty bad crash but she was fine). So, first he wants to know why cars crash, why we have to be careful when we drive, why people sometimes die in car crashes. Normal stuff. I can handle this. Then... why does every one have to die, and if we are going to heaven should we be sad to die. Still holding my own. Then he ask why would someone kill you for loving Jesus. Oh Lord. Isn't he too young for this stuff? Can this question wait until daddy gets home? I want to say that no one would kill you for loving Jesus. Loving Jesus is something that will bring you joy and peace here on earth. I want to promise him a life of security in this world where Jesus will protect him from all harm. But, I can't.

So, instead I tell him the truth. From our conversations about hell, he knows that there are people that do not love and follow God. So, I tell him that there are people in the world that do not love God, that in fact hate Him so much that they kill the people that love God. That he may someday meet people that will not be his friend because he loves Jesus. Not quite so brief and to the point but that was the general message I gave him. I had to give him. So, I watch in my rearview mirror the furrowed brow as he tries to take this in. We have a few more follow up questions as he tries to grasp the concept that someone could not only not like him because he loves Jesus, but that someone could actually want to kill him because he loves Jesus.

Then the sweet, innocent face comes back and he says in his loud, 4 year old boy voice, "Whoever loves Jesus, raise your hand!" After just telling him that he could be killed for it I had to wonder what would happen. Praise God, he raised his hand!

3 comments:

Daniele said...

Onward Christian soldiers!

Have you ever doubted how little that boy is afraid of?

Anonymous said...

I feel you completely on the deep car conversations...happens in our car all the time too! And it is always amazing how kids can take something so deep and profound and then use such a simple truth to sum it all up.
(Aimee D.)

Unknown said...

I completely understand the car conversations. My daughter is the same way..one of my favorites was the conversation which started like this: "Mommy, I understand that Jesus' Daddy is God, but just HOW did Jesus get into Mary's tummy?" Fortunately for that one, I could honestly and 100% say "It's a miracle, honey!"