Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thinking? Or just talking?

My four-and-a-half year old was reminding my husband as he bathed him--with me in earshot--about the recent death of a friend of mine. "That makes Mama sad, Dada. Mama! Remember when Bonnie died?"

I think he was particularly traumatized to have discovered me crying one day after reading my email. Not that he hasn't ever seen me cry...but somehow, when he asked why I was crying this time, the explanation really hit home. He seemed mostly amused at my tears--nervous laughter, maybe?--but I see now that it has really stuck with him.

"Yes, I remember, love."

"Mama, it's not good to think about that because it makes you sad. You shouldn't talk about it."

At this point, my husband astutely reminded him that in fact he had brought up the conversation, and that if he didn't think we should think about it, then he probably shouldn't talk about it. "But Dad, I was talking about it; I wasn't thinking about it!"

Ahh, too true. Especially you, my love. I've often wondered when kids acquire those self-editing skills. You know, the ones that eliminate those embarrassing moments in the grocery store when, in a way-too-loud voice, they say things like, "That woman has strange elbows!" about an extremely obese woman or, "I have a booger stuck in my teeth!" (a favorite from one of my son's friends...not that my son couldn't just as easily have had the same problem!). Apparently, it's not until talking about something and thinking about something are done in unison.

For that matter, I wonder when they acquire volume control, too...

No comments: