Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Perspective

I've been researching boarding schools for 2 1/2 year olds lately.

Haven't discovered many options, but surely some fine school would like to take my opinionated, passionate, surly, aggressive, defiant toddler and teach her some refined manners and self-control. Surely.

However, today, a concern arose about her health. On the grand scale of things, it's a minor concern, but it will certainly involve a couple of doctor's appointments, probably a camera on a wire going down her nose, and very possibly some surgery.

Suddenly, I notice that her cheeks are incredibly round and kissable. And I notice afresh those curls, bouncing as she runs through the house...and the myriad of sweet and hilarious things she says every day...and the way she likes to vacuum right alongside me...and her quickness to forgive her brother for pushing...and her chubby arms and legs wrapped around me for a giant hug...and those gorgeous green-grey eyes...and the way she sings her Bible songs with such solemn focus.

So I tear up the boarding school applications, ashamed that I even considered the possibility. I savor anew this tiny, mighty gift.

No comments: