Friday, June 6, 2008

My day?

We're getting ready for Father's Day around here. Just had Mother's Day. Apparently, it's all starting to wear on my four-and-a-half year-old: today, after a Father's Day gift-shopping outing, he asked me, "When's Child's Day?"

I had to stifle a laugh.

I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if he could possibly be serious.

I had to restrain myself from reaching into the backseat and...

Because, after all, we know every day is Child's Day when you're a mom. Why else would you arrange playdates, cook special favorites, plan museum/park/pool outings, drive back and forth to school over and over, buy special treats, read out loud for hours, wake up before dawn, etc, etc, etc? It's always Child's Day.

And really, when we're honest--when our wits are about us, we're not especially exhausted or overwhelmed, we're not feeling completely unappreciated--really, we wouldn't have it any other way, would we?

3 comments:

Susie said...

You'll have to tell him that in Asia "International Children's Day" is a big deal...but then again, you don't want him moving to China anytime soon! :)

Krista Lucas said...

I'm fairly certain that I asked the same thing of my mom many years ago...

Susie said...

Father's Day falls on your 30th birthday, D.! That's really going to throw him for a loop!