Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gospel-Centered Mom

Are you? Am I? Our pastor taught on being a "Gospel-Centered Man" this past week, and I couldn't help but apply everything he said to me. (I was actually shocked that I didn't think things like "Amen, preach it," you know, thinking about my husband...but I really didn't this time.) I've been pondering this idea all week. How can I as a mom really and truly live the Gospel out in my life? He quoted Acts 6:1-6, and within this passage, Luke describes Stephen as a "man full of faith and the Holy Spirit." Can this be said of me? Am I overflowing to the brim with complete and utter confidence in Christ's work on the cross? Am I living my life in obedience to Jesus Christ, really listening to the Holy Spirit's prodding and conviction?

What describes me? What are my passions? What do I think about? All too often I find my passions being knitting, or photography, or playing the piano, or keeping a clean house, or cooking an amazing meal (of course this happens every night, right?). I know these are fun and enjoyable things, but does it consume me? I want to live and breathe Jesus, to love Him passionately and deeply, and to pour that out on my family, my children. More than anything, I want to be a "mom that loved Jesus more than anything." Don't you? We're in this together, aren't we? That is a great comfort to me.

No comments: