Monday, August 17, 2009

Not Exactly

As school gears up and the summer winds down, I thought I'd share my favorite moment from the summer:

We were at the beach with friends, and after spending the whole morning out in the sun, had decided to pack it up and head back to the house for lunch and some down time. With four kids and three adults, there was plenty to pack up. Blankets, chairs, umbrella, towels, snacks, water bottles, buckets, shovels...you know the drill. So we packed up, rinsed children, divided up loads to carry, and started up the beach to walk across the street and down the block to the house. Luke stopped me and whispered in my ear: he had to pee. Of course. It's almost as predictable as the snowsuit.

"Run back down to the water and pee in the ocean. Quickly." He looked shocked. In the ocean?

"But people will see me!" he protested. I assured him no one would know, everyone does it, etcetera, etcetera. "But everyone will be watching!" I was getting fed up; don't kids always pee in the water, even when they're not supposed to? I urged him to hurry up.

Dutifully if doubtfully, he ran off, all the way back down the beach to the ocean. As the rest of us stood all loaded up with our gear, watching along with everyone else on the beach, it occurred to me why Luke was so concerned...but I was too late to stop him as he ran to the waxing and waning edge of the water and pulled down his swimsuit.

(On second thought, you're right, honey. Everyone did see, and no, everybody doesn't do that.)

3 comments:

Cortney said...

That is exactly what Daniel did too, though thankfully I was close enough to yank them back up over his very white (in contrast to the rest of him) bottom.

Lynn said...

This is so funny! I can just picture it. It's my first time stopping by your blog, by the way. It's good to meet you :)

Meredith said...

oh dear...