Sunday, July 26, 2009

Dromedary Denominationalism

(You may remember a post I wrote a long time ago regarding camels, too: http://mommytrenches.blogspot.com/2008/06/camel.html. Luke would not say they are his favorite animal, I think, though they do seem to come up with more than average frequency around here.)

In the car today, Luke was quizzing us with his newest science facts, no doubt acquired from something he has read recently. It's one of his favorite games: "Mama, did you know that humans can go a week without food but only two days without water?" Sometimes he gets the facts right, sometimes wrong; what's scary is when I don't know which it is: "Mama, did you know that a zebra's skin is actually black?" It's been a while since I've read my Zoo Books magazine religiously, and Luke is becoming quite the bluffer...

Anyhow, today, the aforementioned question about food and water was immediately followed by a camel quiz: "Mama, what do you think camels' humps are for?" Ha ha, Mr. Smartypants, I know this one (on a side note, it's scary when you're satisfied to beat your five-and-a-half year old at a science facts quiz): "Storing nutrition."

"No, Mama. You see, some camels have two humps and some have three"--here's where I begin to doubt the validity of his fact memory--"so that they can tell each other's religion. If a camel with two humps sees another camel with two humps, he knows they're the same. But if he sees another camel with three humps, he might just walk away or something."

Where to begin? After stifling a laugh, Sam jumped in with the important correction: "Luke, I don't think there's such a thing as a camel with three humps."

(As for the religion thing, well, I didn't even know where to begin. But I'm guessing he's just bluffing on that one.)

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh my, that's rich. Hilarious. I thought he was going to tell me the difference between one humps and two, like one of those is a dromedary, or something. It's a shame, isn't it, to learn that, like humans, camels sometimes just can't get past religious difference in their relationships. *sigh*

Susie said...

That one had me laughing out loud. What a card!

TwoSquareMeals said...

I sometimes just wonder how this stuff gets in their heads. Amazing and hilarious!

Krista Lucas said...

i love your kid.