Monday, May 18, 2009

Wisdom from Beyond "The Trenches"

I was talking to my mother today and complaining about Sam's poor sleep habits and feeling pretty sorry for myself. He is just over seven months old and it is a "good night" if he only wakes up three times. Seriously. (And yes, we have tried just about everything and read close to ten books about sleep.) Anyway, my mother (a mother of 12) said, "You know, I'm 65 and I can tell you that you only have your children for a little while and then they are gone. This first year may seem like an eternity, and you may be wondering when you are going to get any rest, but it will pass so quickly." Even though what she said didn't make me any less tired (and it seems like it'll be a long night ahead, as Sam is screaming his head off as I write this), it does put things in perspective. I am going to appreciate this present time for what it is and appreciate my son, even at 3:30 in the morning! :)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

That's the attitude, Susie. And when you look at photos of him from these days, you'll barely remember the sleepless nights. They are So Worth It.

Susie said...

Thanks for the encouragement!