Friday, May 29, 2009

Just Another Night or How the Cereal Box Ended Up in the Fridge this Morning

7pm-8:15 pm: Trying to get Sam (7 months old) to sleep. He cries and cries and finally I hang my head over the side of his crib so he can play with my hair as he falls asleep.

9pm: Awake again. Repeat process.

10:15pm: Awake again. Feeding time.

Midnight: Awake again. Try to get him to fall asleep with pacifier. Unsuccessful. Feeding time.
I stumble back to bed at 12:30.

2am: WAH! Guess what? I turn over and mumble to my husband, "Can you try to get him back to sleep. I'm so tired." Husband stumbles down the 7 stairs to baby's room. I hear crying. Crying continues as husband crawls back into bed. "He'll fall asleep. Just let him cry." "Is he wet?" I ask. (That amazing mother's instinct still alive and well at this ungodly hour.) Husband mumbles, "He didn't feel wet to me," as he turns over and falls asleep.

2:15am: I almost fall down the stairs this time. Sam is sopping wet. And cold. He is very unhappy and tries to roll away as I strip him, put on new clothes and a fresh diaper.

2:30am: Back to bed. Sam in the middle of us. I am too tired to change his sheets and put him back into his own bed. I'm praying he'll just give me 3 straight hours of sleep. No such luck.

4am: The last hour and a half were less than ideal. Sam's toes are digging into my back (which reminds me that I need to clip his nails) and he keeps pulling my hair. Feeding time, back into his own bed.

6am: Sam appears to be up for the day. Hubby mercifully gets up with him so I can sleep until...

6:45am: Husband appears at my bedside to hand off the baby. I kiss him goodbye as he leaves for work. Sam is all smiles and squeals in delight. I feel like I've been hit by a bus.

And THAT is how the cereal box ended up in the fridge.

2 comments:

Cortney said...

Thanks Susie - I so needed this reminder that other people are in this boat. I found my water cup in the vitamin pantry this morning full of water. no idea...

Kelly said...

Daniele says I should confess that I found 2 bowls containing actual popcorn and popcorn kernels in my stack of "clean" nesting bowls. I thought it was funny, too, but I was thoroughly convinced my husband was to blame for this carelessness. However, by her suggestion, it's clear that she thinks I am capable of such a feat. I'm shocked.