Thursday, April 9, 2009

What a Day

I just had a sweet conversation with Luke about why his day at school--a Big Day, it was, Easter egg hunt and resurrection biscuit baking and Easter chapel--was a disappointment. It went something like this:

"Well, it started when my resurrection biscuit got put on the wrong baking pan." Turns out he was worried it would get mixed up with someone else's, which it didn't.

"Then I fell in the mud during the Easter egg hunt." And refused to change into his back-up clothes, kept on hand for just such accidents, despite being wet through to his underwear and even needing new skin, as he reported once we got home and removed the muddy layers.

"And then I cut my hand and wouldn't tell my teachers and embarrassed them." Or himself, maybe? Not sure on this one.

"And then I was worried that you wouldn't come get me at recess, that a stranger might come instead." Though I've never once even arrived late, much less sent anyone else to get him.

"Really, sometimes I think life without you just isn't life at all."
Me, too, my love; me, too.

And my day just took a turn for the so-much-better.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

Poor kid. Wish I were there to give him a hug.

Krista Lucas said...

Well that is sweet.

Patricia Berman said...

OK, so now I am crying! As Luke once asked me "Nana, why do you cry so much?" Do I need to answer that?

Kit said...

Some days are like that, even in Australia...