Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rookie?

*Disclaimer: I have a three-year-old and should have known better. Enough said.

I am very proud of the fact that I am a Prepared Mom. I carry a too-big diaper bag, which holds toys, snacks, sunscreen, extra clothes for potty-training toddler, nursing cover, Maya wrap sling, sippy cup, diaper cream, wipes, diapers, burp cloth, the kitchen sink.

However, I have a seven-month-old who has been getting over a cold (read: coughing and dealing with nasal drainage). The result of such drainage/coughing is occasionally some vomiting. Usually on me. Sometimes in the middle of nursing. One would think that I had put at least an extra onesie in my oversized diaper bag. That would have been too easy.

The four of us trekked to Target this evening. Good thing: I wasn't the sole parent in charge of pushing the enormous cart around my favorite store. Bad thing: Noah was in his infant carrier and started coughing. I was attempting to undo the buckles to stand him up to help him, but was too slow. Out came a mixture of garden veggies and breastmilk and mucous. (At least it mostly missed the carseat!) I sighed, realizing that I had no extra clothes for my now grinning baby to wear. I took him out of the gross outfit and sent my husband over to the baby section, where he found a cute romper (my favorite baby outfit!) in the clearance section. He paid for it and we re-dressed Noah, who was still smiling up a storm and chewing on my shirt.

And I put a "just in case" onesie in my bag as soon as we returned home. Now that I'm prepared, I'll probably never need it.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Such is always the case. The only way to ensure that you'll never need a safety pin is to have one with you.

Good thing you were in Target!

Christina E. Pope said...

I am the same way. I am always over prepared...except of course for those few times I actually needed what I usually bring and somehow forgot it, lol. What can you do? I'm a new mommy blogger and just wanted to say hello and that I love your blog.

Krista Lucas said...

True - Target was a good place to be on such an occasion!!