Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Beauty

So, I really struggled with what to name this post. I thought for days about such names as Terrified For My Children, Put Sex Back in the Church, Get the Skanks off the Street, but just settled for this one. The fact that the title was so hard should tell me that the entire thing will be hard to write, but here goes...

Sunday after church we were driving to a park to have a little picnic lunch, and drove by a building with an advertisement on the entire side. You can guess what it was. A young, raven headed beauty, very scantily clad. With an almost transparent, shimmery tube top on, and a mini mini to match. She was tan and shiny and had flowing, jet back wavy hair that was blowing in the wind; and the smile...the smile was captivating, full of appeal and a "having the time of my life" quality. You know the ads I am talking about. The kind that women stare at in envy and the kind our husbands quickly avert their eyes from in fear that they will stare one second too long. It screamed sex appeal.

I generally do not notice these ads much any more. Growing up in a world where I have seen that most of my life. In fact, I have been that scantily clad girl that the guys cat call to. This time it was different. This time, it drew the attention of my children, a boy age 5, and his little sister age 4. This time, my children were drew into the culture and touched by it. I felt sadness grow in my heart as I listened in on their conversation and thanked God that my husband and I had been there to talk to them about it. This is a sum of their conversation:

Daniel: Look at that girl, she doesn't have any clothes on.
Kate: Yes she does, she has a shirt that is too small. She is showing her tummy and that is a private part for girls.
Daniel: Yeah, she doesn't look very good.
Kate: Look at her hair, it is all wild sticking out to the side like that.
Daniel: She looks a little crazy, doesn't she?

Although they were judging this poor girl pretty harshly saying that she was all crazy, I was glad that they at least have not been touched by the fact that the scantily clad female is what the world wants. I was also sad and scared as I thought about all our children will come up against in our culture. Not just in "the" culture, but in "our" culture, our Christian bubble culture. The pressure to look a certain way, act a certain way.

I have been reading a great book by a local christian author and speaker. I am actually involved in a Bible Study that she leads. The book is called " Unhindered" and it is written by Jana Spicka. Her first few chapters she really, rawly, talks about the sexuality in our culture. This is a quote from that book:

Ezekial 16:15, "But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute.
You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his."

Sound Crazy? Your beauty became his. Watch how we lose part of who we are. Let's talk
about dress codes. Remember the season of thongs combined with low rider jeans? It was the
unwritten fashion code of the day. Girls were sitting down showing everything that God gave
them and yet failed to understand why guys were on full hormonal alert! I was at a church
during this fashion season and a young women went to the front to pray. She knelt down and I
think every male in the church just about passed out. Praise the Lord that she was bowing
before God. But it was a sad illustration of how the battle rages, both in and out of church.
For the sake of history, I want to give you a brief walk through time. In the 1900's somebody
came up with the idea of a Uni-bra, a corset that would squeeze your breast together so it
would look like one big breast. Huh? In the 1920's, the flappers first showed calves and ankles
to the scandel of all. The 1960's hippies introduced mini-skirts. Don't forget about the 1970's
hot pants and the 1980's yuppies with long skirts split up to their wazoo.
And today the X and Y generations sport sheer gauze tops, bare bellies, and min-minis. In
fashion we keep showing more and more. But in relationships, we keep getting less and less.
Does anybody else here that hissing?


Friends, we are under attack. OUR KIDS are under attack. Where will we find our worth? Where will we teach our daughters to find their worth and our sons to repect their women? How do I teach my little girl what modesty is when no one even uses that word anymore and she sees all her friends, even in preshool, where low rider jeans and shirts that show their bellies? We must fight this culture, first in our own hearts. We must repect ourselves because we are God's temple. We must throw off the culture, the world and fight for our true beauty, which only comes from knowing who we are and who our creator is.

Serously, I could go on and on. But...let me leave you with this...

Romans 12:2, "Don't let the world around you squeeze you into its own mold, but let God re-make you so that your whole attitude of mind is changed."

So, what should our attitude be?

Genesis 1:27, "In the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."

So, what does that mean about is?

"The King is enthralled by your beauty" Psalm 45:11

2 comments:

Daniele said...

WHY aren't we still raising our kids together? Aargh! Love you and miss you, my dear knife.

I mean, friend.

Susie said...

Well said. Er, written. :)