Tuesday, March 31, 2009

See How You Are?

We give our friend and neighbor Daniela a ride to school every day. This morning I asked her for an update on her Apollo 11 project, an essay she was working on several weeks ago.

"I'm finished," she said.

"Wow! Good for you!" I said. "When is it due?"

"Next Monday," she said.

"Wow," I said again. Today, you realize, is Tuesday. Which means she had finished her project At Least A Week Before It Was Due.

"Wow," I said, with real admiration, "I was never that kind of student."

And Will chimed in, a note of regret in his voice: "I used to be that kind of student."

And then Everett, his confident voice drifting up from the back of the mini-van: "I will never be that kind of student."

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Oh, Everett and I are kindred spirits. My rationalization is that some of us produce better works under greater pressure.

I'm just sayin', is all :)