Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What would happen if...

The four of us were at In-N-Out Burger a few weeks ago, enjoying a little dinner out. Benjamin, Noah and I were sitting in our booth while Tim waited for our food. He brought my cup of water to the table, and like all fast food restaurants it came in a small plastic cup which didn't have a corresponding lid. I took a drink and put my cup back on the table, unfortunately within arms reach of my darling, 2 1/2 year old son. [I'm seeing the fault in my actions here. I blame the sleep-deprivation.] Not five seconds later, Benjamin had his hand on my water cup. I thought he might be about to have a drink too, so I started to say "Be careful, it's really full," but before one syllable of that thought escaped my lips I had a cup full of ice water on my lap. Now, in the child's defense, the majority of his experience with cups is that they have lids and that nothing happens when you turn them upside-down. Not so with this one, however. Of course, I was wearing khaki capri pants, which became rather translucent when soaked. There was a large puddle on the floor, which I thankfully did not slip on when we left. The best part of the evening: my son had managed to splash a bit of the water on his shirt, which upset him so much that I removed the article of clothing so he would settle down enough to eat his grilled cheese. Do you have a mental picture yet? Mom with soaking, freezing, somewhat see-through pants, 2 1/2 year old with no shirt, baby asleep in his carseat, and husband soaking up the water on the table with some napkins after getting me a new cup of water and trying not to laugh at the whole situation. Of course, I had to laugh - it's that or cry sometimes, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The mental picture you paint is oh-so-clear. Sometimes I think the luxuries of eating out are so overshadowed by the pitfalls! But, they are funny!