Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankfulness

I got such a laugh as I listened to my 3 year old little girl pray her prayers of thankfulness last night. My 3 year old little girl who is prone to theatrics, dramatic pauses, extreme nonverbal facial expressions, the works. All snug in her bed, with her daddy knelling beside her, here she goes.

"God, I thank you for all the things you give us that are so fun, (dramatic pause and shrug), except sometimes they're not. I thank you for the light, except sometimes it is dark. (A concealed chuckle from my husband). God, I thank you for all the nice people in our lives, except sometimes they are mean." This went on with some nonsensical stuff until my husband could no longer contain his full out laugh and I was laughing with him. It was so sweet and so innocent and yet so right on the money. I find my own mind doing the same thing as I try (sometimes in vain) to pray my thankfulness out to our good God. I will say that I am thankful for something, only to be reminded that the thing I am thankful for is not really all that great after all. My cynical nature takes over. As I was thinking about this I felt really sad that I always have to see the negative in everything. All the good things just seem so fleeting.

So, I pray that for all of us during this season. That we can learn to be thankful. FOR ALL THINGS. For the things that are nice, and not so nice. For the things that are light and the darkness. For the people in our lives that are nice and the people that are mean.

Philippian 4:11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

don't you know I needed to hear that today! thanks for sharing the sweet prayer..funny how God uses such small little people to teach us such big truths!

Krista Lucas said...

out of the mouths of babes...

I KNOW I need to be thankful for all things...you never know what God will do with those "bad" things, right? :)