Sunday, November 2, 2008

Falling For It

There's a lot people don't tell you about becoming a mom. And for many good reasons. Like childbirth hurts more than you could ever imagine (they don't tell you that one because of that whole selective memory thing, I think; if they didn't forget, how could they ever have more kids?), like nursing is not easy (because who would be so excited to do it if they knew how hard it was? Right, Susie?)..and that's just the first day. It goes on and on.

But why doesn't anyone warn us about daylight savings time?

Remember how dreamy it used to be? An extra hour of sleep! On Sunday morning! The perfect frosting on the cake of yet another gloriously restful weekend. And so much easier to get up on Monday morning.

And then we had kids. They didn't get the memo. Sun's up. Been in bed a whole bunch of hours (if we're lucky). Hungry. Restless. Ready to go.

And the clock says?

This morning, when I was up with almost-three-year-old Eliza at 5:42, I heard five-year-old Luke singing. Singing. Already.

I woke Dad up: "Luke's singing already."
Grunting as he rolled over to look at the clock: "What?!?"
"Daylight savings time, remember?" (Dads have selective memories, too, I guess.)

He sang patiently until about 6:30, then ran out of patience. Dad went in, and apparently (from what I gathered from overheard snippets and Dad's report), the conversation started something like this:

Luke: "Dad, I was wondering what the clock in your room says 'cause I think mine is broken. 'Cause the sun is shining in my window but my clock doesn't even say it's seven o'clock yet."

Smartie pants.

So Dad explained that we had changed his clock while he was sleeping. (I could hear Luke's exasperated exclamation from across the hall: "Why did you do that?!?"). He could not believe that his parents would violate his trust in such a totally awful way. (He also expressed surprise later on that the clock could be changed...hmmm.)

Dad explained some more. And told him he had to stay in bed. But it wasn't too long before I heard his operatic conclusion: "6:59! Just one minute 'til the time I've been wai-ai-ai-aiting for!"

Why didn't anyone tell us this? Why didn't anyone warn us that, for the next who-knows-how-many years, we'll be longing to spring forward while everyone else celebrates falling back?

And seriously, if anyone needs an extra hour of sleep, isn't it us?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You're so right on with this. I purposely kept Evan up later last night...but he was still up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 5:30 this morning. At least there's springing forward to think about...

Bonnie said...

Oh dear ! I'm laughing my head off at your description of the morning ! Sorry, I shouldn't laugh but it's funny ! (to the outsider !) We haven't got daylight savings in the part of Australia I live in ... but the next State over does ! How's that for confusion ?!

TwoSquareMeals said...

Mine had a horrible time falling asleep thanks to Halloween sugar overload, and they still got up early...well, at a normal time for most kids. After the night we had with them, it was way too early!

Rebecca said...

Yes, this is bad. It isn't a problem for us anymore (of course, all three of ours had friends sleep over on Friday night, so they were wiped on Saturday), so there's hope for you. After awhile....

Krista Lucas said...

maybe i'll move to arizona...i don't think they do daylight savings time there.

the crew said...

when my alarm went off at 5:30 am this morning, I already saw a stream of light coming from the boys' room and heard pages of a book turning - looks like my early morning hour of solace is over, at least until spring...