Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Delightful Day

It really was a delightful day today. Daddy brought Davis to preschool this morning, and Emma Kate took a long nap. Zoe and I passed the time playing "birthday," working with playdoh, chatting, and reading books, all with the screen door open so we could hear the rain falling and the cool breeze blowing-- the first cool air we've felt in a long time!

We dashed out the door just as the deluge started, outfitted in boots and raincoats, to go pick up Big Brother. Soaking wet, we arrived home again to change into "cozy pants." We had a picnic lunch on the playroom floor since we had to cancel our plans for a picnic with friends. Then it was time for naps.

At the end of naps, we made chocolate chip cookies and turned on Mary Poppins. The kids had never seen it before, and they thoroughly enjoyed it. I enjoyed sitting with them, planning our grocery list while they laughed.

And then the magic ended. The movie ended. The rain stopped. It was time for dinner and teeth brushing and pajamas. Many, many quarrels erupted. I spent the last hour and a half of the day mostly disciplining and separating kids.

But I don't want that last bit to color my impression. It really was a delightful day.

3 comments:

Daniele said...

I'm selfishly relieved to hear your fairy-tale day disintegrated; I was feeling very jealous of your mommy-perfection for a few paragraphs there...! Kudos for figuring out how to not only survive but actually ENJOY a rainy day with three kids--wow!

TwoSquareMeals said...

Can you send one of those my way? It has been significantly less than delightful around here this week. I suppose we all get our turn with the good and the bad. Glad you are getting some good!

Aprille - The Muddled said...

That was a fabulous day wasn't it! We had a similarly snuggly day after school. You write beautifully! - a big "Hey! I know her!" from "Miss" Aprille