Friday, June 19, 2009

Who Needs a Gym When You're a Mom!?

Yesterday I looked up the closest Target (we've moved), loaded Sam into the carseat, and set out with my list. When we arrived, I debated about whether I should put Sam in his stroller or not. I decided not, since he really enjoys riding around in the shopping cart these days. We walked through the parking lot, Sam happily bouncing in my arms, diaper bag slung over my shoulder (since as we all know, if I hadn't brought it, I would've needed it).

As we entered I noticed, to my chagrin, that this was no regular Target - I would have to walk through the mall (!?) to get to it. Doh. Oh well, I thought, I'll just make sure to not go anywhere else and only get what's on my list. Well, of course that never happens at Target. Orla Kiely tray and bowl on sale!? Such a good find. Into the cart. A double-boiler! I've needed one for so long to make that special frosting mom always made for us. A beach umbrella. Perfect gift for Father's Day! Look at this adorable t-shirt for Sam! You get the picture. I finally force myself to stop shopping and head to the check-out. We pay and I dutifully drop the cart at the door and hobble out with my shopping bags, diaper bag, and baby.

Oh, but Old Navy is right here! I really need to look at their bathing suits - swim lessons for Sam start next week - and they have carts. 20 minutes and four unsuccessful try-ons later I am red-faced and my self-esteem in about as sore as my arms. I did manage to find a cute summery outfit for Sam. Back through the mall. The tray and the pot are banging against each other, making Sam (8 months old) very excited. He is now bending out of my arms trying to reach into the Target bags. A few seconds later he realizes he can kick the bags and make even more noise. So, here we are, a one and a half man parade trudging through the mall and providing some lucky shoppers with some lunchtime entertainment. Finally, we reach the car. I deposit Sam into his carseat, open the trunk, and place the bags next to the stroller!!

3 comments:

Krista Lucas said...

sounds about right! i've definitely experienced that before... on a slightly related note, why are trader joe's (joe's'?) shopping carts the smallest in all creation?!

Susie said...

Maybe because it is always so crowded in there - or at least in the ones by our house!!
What a pain...

Kit said...

I have learned the hard way to NEVER try to go without a cart, even if I am supposedly just getting milk. Oh, sweet chiropractor...