Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I am 29 Going on 30...

I am really not freaking out about being thirty. Honestly. But I have these college friends who have yet to have children, and when discussing my impending (as in, tomorrow)30th birthday, they proceeded to tell me how liberating it was for them to turn 30. How they finally feel put together, healthy, balanced, stable, beautiful, and at peace with who they are. It was a good thing these communications occurred via email because my current unhealthy, imbalanced, unstable, new mayor of Hagsville, who-the-heck-am-I self might have reached out and smacked someone.

We are currently battling swine flu in our household and trying valiantly to keep the sick toddler away from the as-yet healthy 5-month old. I am wearing an old college t-shirt, my hair is pulled up into the classic "messy mommy ponytail", and the shaving status of my legs is questionable to say the least.

It's either laugh or cry, ladies. I'm doing plenty of both during my last day as a 29 year old.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, bless you! I am so sorry! Even if tomorrow weren't your birthday, and even if this birthday weren't a big one, you would still have reason to whine.

But despite your current, shall we say, disheveled state, you are doing wonderful, meaningful and important work-- the most important in the world. And you will, one day, look back on this and laugh.

Kit said...

Yes, I know, Rebecca. Thank you for your kind words. I didn't mean to whine. I just needed to "talk" to some girls who would understand. I am in the laughing stage right now and would like to stay there.

Susie said...

Happy Birthday!
I crossed the 30 line a couple years back...And, honestly, it doesn't feel all that different from 29! I still fee about 13 on the inside. :)
You're doing great work everyday.

TwoSquareMeals said...

Do you really have the swine flu? Glad I'm in Colorado! Happy Birthday, friend. Welcome to the 30's. They're gonna be great...in a few months...really.