Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Great Deception

Maybe he'll need counseling.
"My mom deceived me, even bought a book about how to deceive me. She lied to me."
Maybe he'll never trust--his food--again.

That's right, mommies dearest. I've been deceiving my son. Deliciously, I might add. Cauliflower puree in his mashed potatoes. Sweet potato puree in his spaghetti sauce. Butternut squash puree in his tacos. And even--gasp!--broccoli puree in his chicken nuggets. Next up: spinach puree in his pizza. Yes, I'll even stoop to defiling his pizza.

All this lying, and all in the name of love.

Yes, believe it or not, Jessica Seinfeld has got it right. Deceptive can be delicious. Miraculous, really. It's as if I can hear my son's very body cheering for all the nutrients it is receiving nowadays. Vegetables! Eaten--with relish, I might add--by the very boy who has been known to vomit if an undisguised vegetable touches his lips.

Success. And one puree-happy mom.

1 comment:

TwoSquareMeals said...

Oh no! Not the pizza! Is nothing sacred?