Monday, July 14, 2008

Mommy milestones

I think I just had another important mommy-making moment (see earlier bead-up-the-nose post): I watched my first sporting event in the pouring rain. No, I was not prepared for this moment with an umbrella or raincoat (I guess an experienced mom would have been; I, for one, have learned that a beach towel doesn't do much for keeping dry). Thankfully, it was only a half-hour swimming lesson. Yes, I could have hidden away in the clubhouse while my son shivered on the side of the pool, but I knew he needed me, needed to be able to see me in order to be brave enough to blow bubbles...kick and paddle...jump in...go down the waterslide (okay, that last one maybe next time)...all with a stranger, no less. Milestones.

Let's compile a list of necessary mommy milestones, fellow bloggers and readers. Add yours to this post. That means all you moms, from the first-time pregnant ones to the ones whose grandkids have endured many swimming lessons. What makes a mom? I look forward to having a checklist to work through (love a beautiful, organized checklist--a love we all share, I assume. Topic for another post...). I'm starting the list.

3 comments:

Daniele said...

foreign object up the nose

sporting event in the rain/snow/other adverse weather event

up all night with ear infection/fever/vomiting/other illness

Krista Lucas said...

hours of waiting in the emergency room/urgent care (i haven't done that yet, and i'm praying it doesn't happen anytime soon!)

being thrown up on (not just spit up, either!)

Unknown said...

having your kid say "you going poopoo mommy?" in the public restroom

(more later)